I recently organized a music lesson around the theme of birthdays and celebrations. I think many preschool music teachers will find this collection of resources very helpful and the kids will love these activities!
Birthday celebrations in the classroom are an important way to recognize and appreciate each student’s unique personality and life experience. Not only does celebrating a student’s birthday make them feel special, but it can also help to foster a sense of community and support in the classroom. Music obviously lends itself to these celebrations.
Depending on the frequency that you meet, you may find it easier to have a birthday-themed lesson or use this collection of activities throughout the year to acknowledge birthdays as they occur.
This lesson plan was designed for movement-based preschool music classes to give kids a chance to practice all of the important developmental milestones that they are learning in their preschool years. It’s a fun way for them to get curious and interested in music and will set them up for success in future music lessons.
There are so many fun songs about birthdays. It was hard to narrow down which ones to use in this lesson plan!
My goal when creating lesson plans is to keep things as simple as possible. I love using piggy back songs because I find that it can be stressful to have to learn a lot of new, complex music before each class.
The Birthday theme lesson plan includes 10 activities that can easily fill a 30 minute preschool music class. It’s designed to be flexible so you can easily rearrange activities or substitute in your own ideas as needed.
You can get the full lesson plan in my TeachersPayTeacher store, but here are the highlights:
- Easy sing-along songs and action songs about birthdays
- Sheet music and lyrics for those songs
- Songs to add to your playlist that will appeal to young kids
- Specific instructions on how to use all of the songs and activities with kids ages 0-5
- Storybook recommendations – all with a birthday theme
- Carefully ordered activities to keep your students engaged and to help your class flow smoothly
- A printable crown to use with a musical activity
Other Articles You May Enjoy:
- 6 Hello Songs For Preschoolers
- Music Activity: Rain, Rain Go Away
- Preschool Music Lesson Plan: Dog Theme
- Preschool Music Lesson Plan: Friendship
- 10 Storybook-Inspired Lesson Plans For Preschool Music Classes
- Monkey See, Monkey Do: A Copy Cat Song