Earth Day is on April 22nd and I’m excited to celebrate with my class! If you’re looking for a good resource to help you celebrate Earth Day with your music class, look no further! This preschool music lesson plan is perfect for getting your kids excited about caring for our planet.
Earth Day is a great celebration to bring into the classroom. Acknowledged by over 190 countries, it is truly an international event that cuts across cultures.
Also, it seems that it is very easy for kids to connect to Earth Day because it celebrates their inner desire to be helpful. Children, regardless of age, love to hear about the ways they can do something to make a positive difference in the world and work toward a better future.
What’s great about this plan is that you really can use it any time of year, as the messages within are applicable at all times and seasons.
This lesson plan was designed for group, movement-based preschool music classes. It includes some easy sing-along songs to lead your class with and a suggested playlist. There are also recommendations for picture books with an Earth Day theme. The activities are designed to get kids moving so that they can coordinate their little bodies and develop their motor skills. This sets them up for success in future music lessons and activities.
My goal is to make music lesson plans that are simple so that teachers with any amount of music background can lead a class with confidence. The lessons are easy to adapt for your own needs and situation.
You can buy the full lesson plan on Teachers Pay Teachers, but here are the highlights:
- Easy sing-along songs featuring an Earth Day theme.
- Sheet music and/or lyrics for those songs
- Fun tunes with earth care themes to add to your playlist that appeal to young kids
- Recommendations for age-appropriate books about Earth Day to read to your children
- Specific instructions on how to use all of the songs and activities with kids ages 0-5
- Carefully ordered activities to keep your students engaged and to help your class flow smoothly
Other articles you may enjoy: