When leading preschool music class, I frequently introduce new themes, topics, and storybooks into the mix. There are some themes, however, that I can always rely on to get the kids up and moving to the music. Dinosaurs is definitely one of those themes!
Kids love dinosaurs because they are fascinating creatures that capture their imagination. Dinosaurs are a great way to spark children’s interest in science and history, and encourage them to ask questions and explore the world around them. Most importantly, there are so many great songs about dinosaurs!
This lesson plan was designed for movement-based preschool music classes to give kids a chance to practice all of the important developmental milestones that they are learning in their preschool years. It’s a fun way for them to get curious and interested in music and will set them up for success in future music lessons.
My goal when creating lesson plans is to keep things as simple as possible. I love using piggyback songs because I find that it can be stressful to have to learn a lot of new, complex music before each class.
The Birthday theme lesson plan includes 10 activities that can easily fill a 30 minute preschool music class. It’s designed to be flexible so you can easily rearrange activities or substitute in your own ideas as needed.
You can get the full lesson plan in my TeachersPayTeacher store, but here are the highlights:
- Easy sing-along songs and action songs about dinosaurs
- Sheet music and lyrics for those songs
- Songs to add to your playlist that will appeal to young kids
- Specific instructions on how to use all of the songs and activities with kids ages 0-5
- Storybook recommendations – all with a dinosaur theme
- Carefully ordered activities to keep your students engaged and to help your class flow smoothly